To my mind, anything over 1kg /2.2lbs is not ultralight!
Most camino pilgrims only need to carry their clothing and toiletries. They don't need a heavy duty, steel framed, army-type backpack unless they are planning to camp along the way. After all, medieval pilgrims carried their stuff in a sack or a bundle over their shoulder - so surely we can manage with a diddly-little backpack!
Find a pack that really fits well:
Some packs have models for men and for women. Women's packs are generally lighter, smaller and come in great colours!
- A good fit is essential. Packs come in different torso lengths and if you're buying online, measure the length of your torso from the base of your neck to the end of the spine (level with your hip bones).
- Check all the specs carefully before hitting the ‘Buy Now’ button. Many websites will give you the sizes – S, M, L, XL – as well as the torso length of their packs.
- Most specs for ultra-light packs will also give recommended maximum weight to carry. If you intend carrying 12kg – don’t buy a pack that recommends a max of 9kg.
- Read the reviews, check out other websites that test backpacks to ascertain the comfort ratings.
- As some packs don’t include the weight in the specs, take a digital scale with you when you go shopping so that you can weigh the pack before you buy. Call or email the online manufacturer to ascertain the gross weight of the pack before buying. They might advertise the pack as 'Ultra Lite' when, in fact, it weighs almost 2kg empty.
- Packs with inner frames and those that offer back ventilation will weigh more than most ultra lght packs.
Nobody beats the Gossamer Gear range for ultra-light packs.
The Murmur is for loads of 9 kg (20 lbs) or less, and for trips of 1 000 miles or up to 50 trail days. This is a one-size-fits-most pack and weighs in at a paltry 212g (7.5 oz). The Murmur has side pockets, side compression straps, a pad holder pocket, an adjustable sternum strap and a minimal hydration bladder shelf.
The Gossamer Gear Gorilla is a sturdier pack that comes in three sizes that all weigh under 700g. Small: 22.7 oz. (644 g.) Medium: 23.2 oz. (658 g.) Large: 24.2 oz. (686 g.)
GoLite : http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5951&s=2
The 43L Golite Jam 2008 weighs 620g / 1 lb 6 oz.
The 36L GoLite Peak weighs 745g / 1 lb 10 oz
Circuit by ULA: http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp
Just over the 1kg but with good features and up to 42L capacity.
Lowe Alpine Hyperlite 1.1kg and 1.3kg
Gregory Jade 50 from 1.3kg
Osprey Talon and Kestrel from 1.3kg
And, if you don't want to wear a pack, or can't carry one, try a hiking and backpack trolley with special harness: